Saturday, November 12, 2011

Linguine Alfredo Using Tofu

I had some left over soft tofu in my refrigerator and was stumped on what dishes I could make with it that weren't soups or desserts.  A visit to Google and several clicks later, I discovered lots of main course recipes that called for soft tofu.  I settled on linguine alfredo because the recipe was easy to follow and I was curious to know how this dish would taste.  I thought, as I take baby steps towards veganism, I would have to say goodbye to white sauce pastas since they contain dairy.  I hope this recipe proves me wrong.  
I've never tried whole wheat pasta before and chose Jovial Foods Einkorn pasta because it had the most vitamins and minerals than the other options available at Micronesia Mall Pay-Less Supermarket.  (Plus, saying "Einkorn" out loud sounded really cool.)  It tasted great, but one con about it is that it dries up and hardens after 4-5 hours.  I recommend using only what you plan on consuming immediately.        
I think the dish turned out good but needed a little bit more saltiness.  I plan on adding some soy bacon in this dish the next time I make it.  Other than that, I'm pretty satisfied with this recipe and am glad to know that I don't have to quit white sauce just because I'm trying to be vegan.


Tofu Fettuccini Alfredo
Serves 4
12 ounces cooked linguine
12 ounces soft tofu, drained and patted dry
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 cup onion, diced
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
1/2 cup almond milk
1 tablespoon olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
parsley for garnish

Cook the pasta according to the package instructions.  While the pasta is boiling, sauté the garlic and onion using the olive oil on medium heat until garlic starts turning brown.  Place the drained tofu, garlic, onion, and cheese into a blender.  Blend until smooth.  Pour mixture into a saucepan.  Warm over medium heat, stirring occasionally.  Toss drained pasta with alfredo sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment