Sunday, February 26, 2012

Pad Ki Mow and Red Curry

Before I start posting about where I tasted delicious Thai food, I would just like to apologize for the decrease in posts this month.  This month has been somewhat of a whirlwind for me and I really don't like to blog unless I'm  sure I have a couple of hours of uninterrupted quiet time.  By the looks of it, I'll be finding those hours in the early hours of the day.
Anyways, here I am and ready to blog.  The picture above is a Thai dish called pad ki mow and, according to the restaurant's menu, means "spicy noodle with basil."  The restaurant I'm referring to is Khaohom Thai and it's a pretty new place that opened just last year.  They're located on Marine Corps Drive in Hagatna across Alupang Beach Tower.  It's a hard place to miss since its building is painted mustard yellow (one of my favorite colors) with a red roof.  What I love about Thai food is the fact that it's definitely vegetarian-friendly.  All the Thai restaurants I've been to on Guam have vegetarian versions of most of their dishes.  Perfect for someone like me since I get tired of salads every now and then.  Khaohom Thai's pad ki mow was tasty with not too much spice in it and saucy without being oily.  The vegetables in it were broccoli, carrots, and lettuce and none were overcooked.
It's hard to go to a Thai restaurant and not order some form of curry.  This day, I decided to have their red curry with just vegetables.  I like my curry spicy and so this one was pretty hot.  There wasn't much variety in the vegetables but there definitely was a generous serving of it.  There were bamboo shoots, broccoli, lettuce, and bell peppers.  I was happy to find the curry wasn't oily at all either.  I drowned my bowl of rice with soup and ate every single grain.
Serving sizes for both dishes were large enough so that 2 people can split them.  Both dishes are available at any Thai restaurant on Guam, but I think Khaohom Thai's version are the least oiliest.          

No comments:

Post a Comment