Saturday, November 19, 2011

Sneaking Dinner into the Movies

My boyfriend surprised me with tickets to an 8pm showing of Twilight: Breaking Dawn Part 1 and since we couldn't eat any of the food sold at the theatre, I decided to sneak in our dinner.  I thought it would be a great time to make burgers since they're easy to make and small enough to fit in my bag.  
I used Morning Star Farms Mushroom Lover's Burger as my burger patties, which are made with button and portabella mushrooms, onion, and red pepper.  They taste fantastic and apparently are so good it won a ChefsBest award.  Because they're already full of flavor, I decided to pair it with Daiya Mozzarella cheese instead of cheddar cheese.  I really like how the cheese melts easily and tastes just like mozzarella cheese.  So far, I've only tried two of Daiya's products, but both have won good reviews from me.  I think the burgers would have been even better with swiss cheese, but I can't seem to find a place on Guam that sells vegan swiss cheese.  I purchased both patties and cheese at Simply Food.    
For the bread and condiments, I used Oroweat Whole Wheat Hamburger Buns, Original Vegenaise, and kale instead of lettuce.  I was able to purchase both of these at Micronesia Mall Pay-Less, but I know Simply Food also sells Vegenaise.  Vegenaise is the vegan version of mayonnaise, and tastes no different from its unhealthy counterpart.  I've made sandwiches using this spread and no one notices anything different.  I am curious to know how it holds up when used in actual cooking.  I used kale instead of lettuce because it has so much more nutrients and provides a better crunch to the burger.  Click on the link to read about its great health benefits.
So how did the complete burger taste?  My boyfriend and I thought they tasted delicious!  I actually ate my burger on the way to the movies because I couldn't resist any longer.    

No comments:

Post a Comment