Saturday, November 19, 2011

Nothing Wacky About This Cake

My co-worker passed along to me a recipe for a vegan chocolate cake with the oddest name: Wacky Cake.  After I made it though and tasted it, I really think it's wrongfully named because there's nothing wacky or odd about it.  When I pulled it out of the oven, it smelled so good I couldn't wait to try it.  I know I should have let the cake cooled longer, but my usual impatient self wanted a slice of it immediately, as you can probably tell from the picture above.  The cake was super moist and fluffy and my family enjoyed it immensely even though it had no frosting.
Another reason why I loved it was because it was so cheap and easy to make.  I didn't need to buy any special ingredients or break out my stand mixer at all.  I'll gladly make anything that doesn't require me to wash many dishes or run around the island looking for ingredients I'll probably be only using once.
The next time I make this, I'm going to add cherries or strawberries before putting it in the oven and half-way through the baking time.  I think it'll make the cake look so pretty and taste even better too.  Yummy!


Wacky Cake (Vegan Chocolate Cake)
Fills 9" x 9" pan
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons cocoa powder
1/3 cup cooking oil (I used canola oil.)
1 tablespoon vinegar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup cold coffee

I suggest making the coffee first by heating 1 cup of water and adding 1 tablespoon of coffee.  I cooled the coffee by placing the cup inside a small pot of ice water and putting it in the freezer for 10 minutes.

Preheat oven at 350°F.  Mix flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, and cocoa powder in a 9" x 9" pan.  Make 3 holes and pour oil, vinegar and vanilla in separate holes.  Pour the cold coffee over all.  Mix well with fork (or hand mixer).  Do not beat.  Bake for 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean.     
   

No comments:

Post a Comment