Monday, November 21, 2011

Vegan Orange Chicken

Two weeks ago, Simply Food had a one-day sale where all groceries and frozen items were 15% off.  Vegetarian Plus Vegan Orange Chicken is one of those items that caught my eye in their freezer section since it's vegan Chinese food and my boyfriend hasn't eaten Chinese food for a long time.  We decided to split it for dinner last week.
Cooking it was quite easy.  I defrosted it for 10 minutes and then  I cooked it using a wok (If I'm going to eat healthy Chinese food, the least I could do is use Chinese cooking methods.) and 2 teaspoons of olive oil on medium heat.  I followed the instructions to the T and so it was ready to eat in 6 minutes.  
The serving was OK for 2 people to share if the 2 of you had some snacks prior to dinner (this would be my boyfriend and I) or if both of you are on a diet.  However, for all other scenarios, splitting it would be a bad idea.  I like my food as saucy as possible, so I appreciated the "chicken" being completely covered in orange sauce.  What I didn't like was that the sauce had too much of an orange flavor.  I've eaten orange chicken at Chinese restaurants before, and they cooked it in a way so that you just tasted hints of orange zest.
The texture of the chicken was pretty amazing though.  When you cut through it, it looked as though you were tearing apart a real chicken piece.  It may seem a little chewy for others, but my boyfriend and I agreed it was pretty darn close to chicken.  I plan on purchasing more chicken-alternative products from Vegetarian Plus, but I don't think I'll be purchasing this particular dish again because of the overpowering orange flavor.

No comments:

Post a Comment