Saturday, December 17, 2011

Breakfast of Champions

My department at work decided to have a breakfast party to celebrate the birthdays of 2 of my co-workers.  I decided to make vegan chocolate chip pancakes because everyone loves pancakes and how can I go wrong with adding some chocolate chips to it?  Luckily for me, I was able to find a pancake mix that was dairy-free.
Cherrybrook Kitchen Original Pancake mix was the only pancake mix that I could find that was vegan.  This brand was created by a woman who had to learn how to make allergen-free food because she's allergic to so many types of food.  I was excited to find this because I wasn't sure if there really was such thing as vegan pancakes, especially since all I saw at first glance were boxes of buttermilk pancake mix.  I'm not sure if Simply Food has this, but I did find this particular brand in Micronesia Mall Pay-Less Supermarket.  For vegan chocolate chips, I used Sunspire vegan carob chips, which I also found at Micronesia Mall Pay-Less Supermarket.  I've baked with these chips before, so I know they'd be the perfect compliment to my pancakes.
Making these pancakes made me realize how long it's been since I've actually eaten pancakes at all.  I think the last time I ate them was at Denny's when I ordered the Grand Slam.  I'm so happy to find a healthier alternative to Denny's pancakes.  I actually think these pancakes taste better and are fluffier than Denny's pancakes.  
 In order to make these, just follow the instructions on the back of the box.  I followed the instructions to make 7 pancakes.  After making the batter, I added 1/4 cup of vegan carob chips and slowly stirred it in.  Then, I poured the pancake batter on a hot pan, 1/4 cup at a time.  Honestly, I didn't think these pancakes were actually going to make it to my work's breakfast party since my family was eyeing them while I was cooking.  Luckily, I made a second batch for my family (and myself) to enjoy  and my first batch safely made it to the party.  
        

No comments:

Post a Comment